Growing up I loved tuna, my dad hated the smell, so at home I could only eat it when he was out of town. That did happen to be a lot. Back in elementary school I also packed it in my lunch and had to ask the principal to open my can. Pouches didn’t exist yet, and the pull tab cans were hard for a 5th grader; I did feel bad when he spilled it on himself a couple of times.
At home I often paired tuna with the famous Kraft Mac and Cheese, so this recipe is inspired by that creamy comfort food taste except this one has no grains, no dairy, and is loaded with healthy fats and veggies. The possibilities are endless with this dish, it could easily be made with shredded chicken too. I’ve also made it before with cheese, so if dairy is ok for you go for it! If you do add a creamy cheese, you can probably decrease the mayo to 1/2 cup. The healthy mayo used in this recipe is from Thrive Market and is the Primal Kitchen brand which is Whole 30 approved. I also got the Plantain Chips and Safe Catch tuna there. Use one of the links above and get 20% off your first 3 orders. You also get a free 30 day trial.
This month 10% generated from affiliate links will be going to the ministry She Has a Name out of Columbus, Ohio. Human trafficking is unfortunately growing all around us. I’ve had family and friends personally observe it recently. I’m thankful for organizations like this that are shedding light on darkness and helping to redeem those that have suffered in these horrific situations.
Tuna Butternut Squash Casserole (Whole30, Paleo)
- 30 oz Frozen Butternut Squash Three 10 oz bags
- 1 TBS olive oil I used garlic and onion infused oil to make my dish low fodmap.
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt adjust per taste
- 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper adjust per taste
- 5 slices bacon
- 2 cups Spinach I used fresh or you could use frozen (thawed and drained)
- 1/2 cup Diced Onion Leave out for low fodmap
- 2 cloves garlic Leave out for low fodmap
- 2 cans Tuna Safe Catch found on Thrive market
- 1 cup Mayo Use Primal Kitchen or Homemade from Thrive Market
- 2 TBS Dijon Mustard
- 1 cup Plantain Chips Optional, I used Thrive Market brand.
Spice it up with some crushed red pepper if you like spicy or even some curry powder would be yummy. 🙂 If you are ok with dairy you can add parmesan cheese to the top as well.