Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Summer will be officially here this week. It seems like Ohio forgets how summer is supposed to be. 🙂 Last year on Father’s Day it was 95+ degrees and this year we walked into church and it was 68. Not totally complaining, but the forecast this week does look a bit gloomy and we are ready for the pool at Grandma and Grandpa’s next weekend! This week my friend Katie Mathews is sharing a delicious muffin recipe here on the blog. Katie and I met at a local photography class this summer. She is so sweet and you must follow her on Instagram @FarelyRooted, her food is amazing, beautiful, and healthy! Enjoy Katie’s post below and have a blessed Father’s day to all the Dad’s out there!
Summer, we love ya. You’re the most blessed season for wholesome foodies. The farmer’s markets are up and running and bursting with the most beautiful produce we see all year in the Midwest. Bravo, farmers of our communities. You fill our market bags with farm fresh berries, vibrant leafy greens, homemade baked goods, and zucchini the size of our faces. Your work is something to celebrate.
In all my farmer’s market excitement, I always seem to buy so much more face-sized zucchini than a small family can consume in a few days time, so after feasting on said gigantic zucchini for three days, in the form of raw, roasted, zoodles, and more, I still have zucchini to spare and have no desire to put it to waste. Coincidentally, my love for chocolate has not changed at all despite the change of the seasons.
Enter these delightful GLUTEN AND GRAIN FREE CHOCOLATE TAHINI ZUCCHINI MUFFINS, packed with chocolate and veggies because didn’t you know that they always belonged together?
Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup Tahini (or almond butter)
- 1/2 Cups Coconut sugar (or brown) For low carb sub Swerve sweetener.
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1 3/4 cup Almond flour
- 1/3 cup Cacao powder (cocoa)
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- Dash Sea Salt
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (about 2-3 small or 2 medium)
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips or chunks Lily's Chocolate Chips for Low Carb
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips or chunks For chocolate topping
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease muffin tin.
- Combine wet ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Combine dry ingredients in a small bowl.
- Add dry to wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Fold in zucchini and 2/3 cup chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin tin cups with batter about 3/4 of the way up and top with remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until set (mine were done in 22).
- Enjoy immediately while the chocolate is gooey or re-heat in the oven for 5 minutes.
Life hack: instead of using all your muscles grating zucchini on your own, chop it and pop it in a food processor for 10 seconds and it will magically grate on its own. After shredding, (very important squeeze out most of the water in a bunch of paper towels so the muffs aren’t too wet).
For those Low-Carb and Keto folks out there:
- You can find Lily's Chocolate Chips at Thrive Market or on Amazon. Spoiler alert: Thrive Market has the best deal!
- Swerve is available in a Brown "Sugar" Version, it's on Thrive Market and Amazon too.